Monday 18 July 2016

Growing strawberries from seeds in Singapore

There are some shops selling strawberry seeds such as the NTUC Fairprice supermarkets and the local nurseries. I bought one packet from NTUC two years back and managed to grow some strawberry seedlings but after a couple of months they kaput and stopped growing. Eventually, all died.

I tried to grow by using the seeds from the strawberries that I bought from the supermarkets. It was quite tedious to remove one seed at a time from the strawberry fruit. I wasn't sure which one is good but using my common sense, I would assume those big and protruded seeds on the fruit were the best ones. The germination rate for strawberry is quite low, so you need to extract as many as you can from the fruit. I would go with at least 20 seeds. The germination period is also quite long. Mine took about 3 to 4 weeks to germinate.

I did a wrong thing by transferring the seedlings when they are about one week old to another pot. I should have waited for at least 2 to 3 months before transferring them to a bigger pot. I guessed that during the transferring, I might have injured or damaged the fragile roots.

I have started to germinate some seeds taken from the strawberries from a local nursery. I hope they can survive and grow into bigger plants. I have started in end May and now I have quite a number of young seedlings. I think the seedlings can be transplanted into bigger pots in August. Join my mailing list to get update of my progress.

Seedlings @ 15 July 2016
Seedlings @ 15 July 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment